Thursday, May 21, 2009

Expanding Horizons

Even at 31 years old I am still learning new things everyday. Yesterday I had a profound food breakthrough. But before I explain you need some previous history.

See D and I have been trying to eat lighter, healthier, low calorie meals. So we've been trying new recipes and have recently realized that fish purchased in the freezer section at the grocery is not half bad and much more affordable than the market. So a few months ago we tried fiery fish tacos. So Yummy! Except for the key ingredient that I was unable to find. I replaced it with cabbage (I had extra and was trying to use it up), yuck big mistake.

I kept wondering what jicama (was pronouncing it jikahmuh) was and weeks later found myself in Arlington at On The Border. Low and behold there was a salad with salsa that included raw jicama. I ordered it and loved it. I had heard it was much like a cross between an apple and a water chestnut and sure enough... crunch and mildly sweet. Yum!

Fast forward to last weekend when D and I are planning our weekly menu. His parents are coming into town for the long weekend coming up and we wanted to plan some fun things to eat. Fish tacos! That's different. BUT what about the jicama? D is unable to locate it at our nearest Kroger so yesterday I took all three kids to the only other Kroger in town and sure enough right next to the ginger root is a selection of jicamas. Score! I am somewhat surprised by the roundness of this food but trust that it is labeled correctly, purchase my other items and head home. I do of course call Darrell and my MIL to celebrate my find.

Once home I realize I have no idea how to prepare this thing. So I turn to the laptop computer and google it. No less than 47,000 hits. Really? Lots of people know about this thing? Sure enough I locate a video. Perfect! I'm a visual learner. A chef with a strong accent walks me through the process and now I'm set. Saturday we're having fiery fish tacos with jicama. Oh and according to the chef lady I've been pronouncing it wrong all along. It sounds more like 'heekumah'. Oh well.





No comments:

Facebook

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP