Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Search is Over

Back in December, our family had the difficult task of having to find a new physician. Our previous one was a member of our church, hunted with Darrell, had children the same age as ours, and his wife was a friend of mine. We were so sad to see them move, for so many reasons. Darrell and I decided our next physician should have many of the same qualities our previous one had.

Same Day Appointments
Family Physician (could see us all)
Short wait (20 min. or less)
Friendly staff and nurses
Encouraged phone consultations with nurse
Friendly
Doesn't prescribe antibiotics for everything

We thought we'd found our doctor. He was great, but had a longer wait than I really preferred. I thought I could deal with that, since he had all the other qualities. I was wrong.

Wednesday night Brooks started running a fever and by 4:00 am it was 103.9. Thursday morning I called our doctor to make an appointment. The good news was that Lianna was at Mother's Day Out, so I'd only have to take the two boys with me. The bad news was our doctor's partner was out sick so our normal 1 hour wait, would be even longer, and there was no appointment open for the morning.

Darrell and I made the decision to try another doctor. My time is just way too important to wait all day in the doctor's office. I called a pediatrician and she was able to get me in within two hours. I arrived 15 minutes early to fill out paperwork. I was in the exam room with both boys by our scheduled appointment time, and was walking out to my car within an hour. The pediatrician was great with Brooks, and though she suspected he had Strep she didn't just automatically prescribe antibiotics. She ran a test (in office!) and it came back negative. Go figure! He didnt need antibiotics afterall. She encouraged me to call and visit with her nurse if I had any questions, and gave me some instructions for Motrin to keep Brooks's fever down and reduce the inflamation in his throat. I was sold!

I asked the receptionist if I could make an appointment for his two year check up. In doing this, I realized the doctor had set aside special days specifically for well-child-checkups. What a concept! The well children, will not be in the waiting room with sick children. I'm telling you, I'm so excited to have a doctor who values my time, and my children's health, enough to arrange her schedule accordingly.

3 comments:

Jennboree said...

Sounds just like our Ped. You aren't driving all the way to Ft Worth to see Dr. Harris, are you? :)

We went through 3 pediatricians before finding this gem of a doctor. Glad you found one too!

Amanda said...

is it dr. h, b, or p?

i should have asked yesterday. i am glad you found someone you liked!

Allison said...

It's Dr. H, and no Jen, we're not driving to Ft. Worth for Dr. Harris. :) 3 hours in the car would be way worse than an hour in the waiting room.

Facebook

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP