Thursday, February 7, 2008

An Adventurous Spirit... Well Sort Of

I dont know about you, but I dont consider myself very adventurous. I have no desire to climb a mountain, or explore the ocean or my refrigerator for that matter. (That would be really scary!) When I go to a restaurant I usually order the same thing. I know what I like and I dont venture far from that security. I rarely branch out and try something new, and usually only after I've seen or heard how great it is.

Ever since Canaan was about 4 months old, I've been eating oatmeal for breakfast. You can imagine the mundane feeling I get every morning when I heat the milk for my oatmeal. Having the same thing for breakfast can be utterly boring and drive a person insane. I only do it for Canaan.

When I was growing up my mother always served oatmeal with honey drizzled over it, or a scoop of brown sugar on top. My favorite has always been the latter. Yum! Every now and then, I'm surprised by a little brown sugar crisp in my spoonful if I didnt mix it up completely. Double yum!

As you can imagine, after a just a month of mornings like this, one can get pretty tired of oatmeal. I was discussing this morning regiment of oatmeal with a friend of mine, who has oatmeal every Saturday morning. She told me she always serves hers with cinnamon and sugar. Hmmmm.... interesting.

Oh, but I'm not that adventurous am I? This is new.... what if I dont like it? What if it makes it harder to eat the whole bowl? All these questions fill my head with doubt, but oh, how I long for something different in the morning.

On Monday morning, I did it. Instead of pulling out the bag of brown sugar, I mixed some white sugar with cinnamon. It wasnt bad. It was pretty good. I was able to finish my entire bowl and enjoyed it. But I havent gone back again. It's kinda sad really. I want variety, but I like what I eat. Oh well... I guess I can choose my misery or not. Maybe one day, I'll try apples.

1 comment:

Jennboree said...

HA. That was totally Amanda. I knew immediately because, 1)we have always had oatmeal with cinnamon and sugar and 2)she ALWAYS eats oatmeal on Saturdays.

No wonder you two are friends...creatures of habit! :)

Facebook

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP